Vocational upper secondary qualification in restaurant and catering services – cook (2½-3 years)
This programme provides you with the basic knowledge of both theory and practice in the food production tasks in the restaurant industry in planning, cooking and presenting restaurant dishes and in storing food ingredients. The education is carried out at our modern well-equipped premises in hansa campus with its own restaurant silveria open for public. On-the-job learning periods that are held in restaurants in vaasa or elsewhere will make up an important part of the education. This qualification will also give you a good basis for continuing studies, if you wish to achieve a further degree in the industry or continuing education in the future.
How is the education arranged?
The qualification includes full-time studying as well as on-the-job learning periods. The classes are held during daytime (monday-friday). The duration of studies is approximately 3 years. Third year is mainly on-the-job learning.
The scope of the studies is 180 competence points (cp).
Compulsory vocational units 85 cp:
- Working in food preparation services – 20 cp
- Preparation of lunch dishes – 40 cp
- Preparation of dishes – 25 cp
Optional vocational units 60 cp:
- Preparation of catered and banquet dishes – 20 cp
- À la carte food preparation – 30 cp
- Café service – 10 cp
Common units 35 cp:
- Communication and interaction skills 11-20 cp
- Competence in mathematics and natural sciences 6-15 cp
- Skills required in society and working life 9-18 cp
A personal study development plan is made for each student based on his/ her previous experience and studies.
Studying is free of charge. The school will provide the new students with appropriate uniform for kitchen and restaurant work.
Entry requirements for studies August 2021
Entry requirements for the vocational qualification are:
- Nationality: all nationalities can apply for the programme
- Age: you are at least 18 years of age when studies starts in August 2nd, 2021. There is no upper age limit.
- High school certificate or the general school-leaving certificate.
- A certificate of the international English tests TOEFL (IBT version) or IELTS (academic or general training version)
- Enough of funds for living on the applicants account to be presented to the immigration office for the resident permit. More information www.migri.fi
The requirements are for TOEFL = 60 points (minimum) and for the IELTS = 5 points (minimum). Applies for all applicants.
Cook and waiter/waitress
The application period for studies starting in August 2021 is 1.-31.1.2021. The selection is done in late February and the admitted students are informed through e-mail before end of March 2021. The studies start 2nd, August 2021. There is no tuition fee for the studies.
Application form (OPENS 1.1.2021)
You can download the application form either as a pdf or as a word-document.