Mechanical fitter programme introduction
Vocational upper secondary qualification in mechanical engineering and production technology – mechanical fitter programme provides you with the basic knowledge of both theory and practice of mechanical engineering industry. Mechanical fitters work in tasks involving installation and assembling of different mechanical equipment and machines in industry, repair shops or the customer’s facilities. They work as part of production by carrying out assemblies, installing individual parts, or machine parts and by participating in servicing and maintenance tasks. Installation work may be serial work or include fault detection and changing even large components.
The education is carried out at our modern well-equipped premises in Sampo Campus, Vaasa, but the practical training periods that are held in the companies will make up an important part of the education. This qualification will also give you a good basis for continuing studies in a university level.
How is the education arranged?
The qualification includes full-time studying as well as on-the-job learning periods. The classes are held during daytime (monday-friday). The duration of studies is approximately 3 years. On-the-job learning takes place in the second and third year spring.
The scope of the studies is 180 competence points (cp).
Compulsory vocational units 65 cp:
- Working in manufacturing tasks – 25 cp
- Installation and automation tasks – 10 cp
- Mechanical installations – 30 cp
Optional vocational units 80 cp
- Hydraulic installations – 20 cp
- Maintenance – 20 cp
- Pneumatic installations – 20 cp
- Power transmission system and machine component installations – 20 cp
Common units 35 cp
- Communication and interaction competence – 11 cp
- Skills in mathematics and natural sciences – 6 cp
- Citizenship and working life competence – 9 cp
- Optional targeted learning outcomes – 9 cp
A personal study development plan is made for each student based on his/ her previous experience and studies.
Studying is free of charge. The school will provide the new students with appropriate overalls for mechanical work.
Entry requirements for studies
- Suomessa perusopetuksensa suorittavat yhdeksäsluokkalaiset oppilaat sekä perusopetuksesta jo valmistuneet voivat hakea koulutukseen.
- Suomenkieliset hakijat voivat ilmoittaa viimeksi saamansa englannin kielen arvosanansa hakemukseen.
Entry requirements for the vocational qualification are:
- Nationality: all nationalities can apply for the programme
- Age: you are at least 18 years of age when studies starts. There is no upper age limit.
- High school certificate or the general school-leaving certificate.
- One of the certificates of the international English tests. Applies for all applicants.
- TOEFL IBT version 60 points minimum
- IELTS academic or general training version 5 points minimum
- Duolingo English test 85 points minimum
- Enough of funds for living on the applicants account to be presented to the immigration office for the resident permit. More information www.migri.fi
- Good physical condition to study and work in the mechanical engineering and production technology industry. The school nurse will check the condition of health before the studies begin.
- The next application period will take place in January 2023 for studies beginning in August 2023.
- Application form will be closed when the quote of applicants is met.
- You can only apply to one of the English programmes.
- There is no tuition fee for the studies.
Online application form will open when the application period starts (click the link below).