Mechanical fitter program introduction
Vocational upper secondary qualification in mechanical engineering and production technology – mechanical fitter programme provides you with the basic knowledge of both theory and practice of mechanical engineering industry. Mechanical fitters work in tasks involving installation and assembling of different mechanical equipment and machines in industry, repair shops or the customer’s facilities. They work as part of production by carrying out assemblies, installing individual parts, or machine parts and by participating in servicing and maintenance tasks. Installation work may be serial work or include fault detection and changing even large components.
The education is carried out at our modern well-equipped premises in Sampo Campus, Vaasa, but the practical training periods that are held in the companies will make up an important part of the education. This qualification will also give you a good basis for continuing studies in a university level.
How is the education arranged?
The qualification includes full-time studying as well as on-the-job learning periods. The classes are held during daytime (Monday-Friday). The duration of studies is approximately 3 years. On-the-job learning takes place in the second and third year spring.
The scope of the studies is 180 competence points (cp).
Compulsory vocational units 65 cp
- Working in manufacturing tasks – 25 cp
- Installation and automation tasks – 10 cp
- Mechanical installations – 30 cp
Optional vocational units 80 cp
- Hydraulic installations – 20 cp
- Maintenance – 20 cp
- Pneumatic installations – 20 cp
- Power transmission system and machine component installations – 20 cp
Common units 35 cp
- Communication and interaction competence – 11 cp
- Skills in mathematics and natural sciences – 6 cp
- Citizenship and working life competence – 9 cp
- Optional targeted learning outcomes – 9 cp
A personal study development plan is made for each student based on his/ her previous experience and studies.
Studying is free of charge. The school will provide the new students with appropriate overalls for mechanical work.