Are you interested in going on international exchange?
As a student in Vamia, you have the opportunity to gain international experience abroad or in Finland. You can, for example, carry out internationally related studies or learn through workplaced learning or in other institutes abroad, or participate in a variety of international activities and events here in Vaasa. You can acquire foreign exchange placements yourself or take advantage of Vamia’s educational partners. All Vamia’s training programs offer the opportunity for foreign exchange and international experience.
Approximately 100 students in Vamia leave Finland each year for foreign exchange. Vamia has partner schools and partners in nearly 20 countries in Europe, Asia and Africa.
Studying or learning in the workplace abroad adds value to your professional degree in many ways
- Increases self-confidence in coping with different work cultures
- Opportunity to learn new things
- Lifelong friends from abroad
- Your social skills improve
- Your language skills are strengthened
- Find new opportunities in other countries
- Get a competitive edge for future job search
The contents of the exchange
- Learning / studying at work for 2 weeks – 6 months. During the period abroad, you will gain knowledge in your professional field and for your studied degree at the workplace or in an educational institution.
- We will train you before your departure and give you guidance and support throughout the exchange period. Before you go, you will take part in training sessions where you will get information about the country of destination, about encountering foreign culture, security, health issues and language training. At the exchange you have a personal instructor and / or contact person who will take care of you, both at work and outside working hours, if you need help and guidance
- The study module you are carrying out abroad and all learning acquired will be recognised as part of your degree. Agree with your instructor about the goals of the exchange and the identification and recognition of your exchange period.
- The foreign period does not extend your studies
- The skills demonstration is also possible to carry out abroad wherever possible.
Selection criteria for foreign exchange:
- You have completed your first year of study and you have already a little previous work experience
- Your studies have gone well
- You are cooperative, open and flexible
- You have sufficient knowledge of the language of the target country or English
- You can represent VAMIA and Finland abroad
- Your health is good
- If you do not hold a European passport, you will have to confirm with the embassy of the partner country that you have permission to go there
Read more about selection criteria
Did you get interested? This is how you apply:
- Discuss with your instructor about your chances of going to work / study abroad
- Fill in an European CV and an application for a foreign exchange
- Contact your unit’s International Coordinator in order to get more information about different opportunities and funding.
- Vamia has a continuous application process for foreign exchange
- Via Vamia you can also apply for foreign exchange after graduation. Contact International Coordinator or VamiaGuide in Ruutikellarintie 2.
Fill and print out: Application form for International Exchange
- International mobility periods are mainly funded through the National Board of Education and EU funding programs (eg Erasmus +). As a rule, grants cover travel, housing and living expenses. The amount of the grant is determined by the destination country and the length of the trip. However, it is good to reserve your own money for the exchange period. After all, during your free time you can make excursions, shopping and discover the local culture.
Come along and experience the world with Vamia!
Field trip to Bilbao
Tel. +358 40 764 7516
Adress: Hansa Campus, Ruutikellarintie 2-4, 65100, Vaasa, Finland
- Tourism, Restaurant and Catering
- Household and Cleaning Services
- Social and Health Care
- Beauty and Hairdressing
- Business and Administration
- Audio Visual Communications
- IT and Security
Tel. +358 40 648 3132
Adress: Sampo Campus, Sepänkyläntie 16, 65100, Vaasa, Finland
- Manufacturing and construction
- Crafts and design
Manager of international affairs
Ms Katarina Sandbacka
Tel. +358 40 711 7070
Adress: Hansa Campus, Ruutikellarintie 2. 65100, Vaasa, Finland